Last week’s gloomy January weather almost did me in; thankfully the sun came out and gave us all beautiful weekend to head outdoors. January can be a truly, blue month. The holidays have passed, and work and school are back to their usual grind. It can be a pretty depressing month, but there is plenty to do and be happy about!
Trying to combat the January blues in the coming week I have 5 ways to beat those blues this week! Let me know if one works for you! Blessings, Caroline
1. Get physical! Numerous studies have shown that exercise boosts mood – so much so that some doctors are advised to prescribe exercise for mild depression instead of medicines. Try a new exercise program this week!
2. Buddy workouts! Exercise friends! They not only engage our natural competitive spirits but also give us someone to rely on to drag us to the gym or to keep us accountable for our new year’s goal. Also, it is never EVER easy to accomplish a goal all by yourself, so bringing even just one other person into the mix is a huge motivator. check out the transformer class!
3. Dance! Take a Zumba class or go ballroom dancing or just turn on Taylor Swift and break it down in the privacy of your bedroom. Dancing cures the blues in many ways!
4. Yoga or Pilates! I myself was a little wary the first time I entered a yoga class. I had a hard time getting past the mentality that yoga is not a workout and laying on the ground in Indian style will in no way help me sculpt rock-hard abs. However, aside from the different types, there is an amazing sense of relaxation that is experienced during the stretching portion, a portion of the class dedicated to silence, reflection, and time to rest your mind and body. Both Yoga and Pilates are surprisingly rejuvenating, so give them a try!
5. Get outside! The weather this past week in Athens has been absolutely miserable with all the rain and clouds. But this week is supposed to be beautiful! If you have the chance and the ability to spend time outside in the fresh air, nothing beats the wind in your face! Go hiking; take your run off the treadmill and onto the trails and sidewalks. Stop ignoring your sweet puppy whining at the door and take her or him on a walk! Play tag or hide-and-seek with your kids outside. There are endless ways to get fresh air. Pick one of them, and I guarantee you'll see your spirits get a little brighter.
Try these Delicious Kale Chips for a green boost to the January blues!
KALE CHIPS 1 bunch of Kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F. Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt. (You can massage kale with the olive to coat more evenly).
- Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, check after 10 minutes (shake pan if needed) may need to cook more 5 minutes. ENJOY!