I love playing outside in the snow (or should I say ICE here in Athens today) with my kids, but at the end of the day I need something to warm me up. One of my favorite recipes for cold days is Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup. Actually, we all enjoyed this for lunch today! Delicious!
Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup
- 6 to 8 large carrots
- 1 small sweet onion (peeled & chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea Salt
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (good quality, low sodium)
- 1 piece ginger, an 2 inch long, peeled & chopped
- 1 small piece of thyme, plus more for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- chopped pecans for garnish
- Peel and cut the carrots into 1/2-inch rounds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the carrots, onion, and garlic with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Set an oven rack 6 to 8 inches from the heat source and turn on the broiler. Broil the carrots until they brown and soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil, add the ginger and the sprig of thyme and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add roasted carrots, onion, and garlic to the pot simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the carrots are soft enough to puree.
- Use an immersion or a standard blender to puree the mixture until smooth. If the soup seems too thick, add more stock or water and reheat gently. Add salt and pepper to taste. To serve, garnish with chopped fresh thyme & pecans. Adding coconut milk to the soup also adds a creamy flavor.
I also love to make homemade pita chips to go with this recipe!
Fresh Baked Pita Chips
- 4 fresh whole wheat pitas
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Heat an oven to 450°F. Using a pizza cutter, slice the pitas into 8-12 triangular wedges. Tear the two halves of each wedge apart. Working in batches toss 25-30 wedges at a time with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and a few grinds of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Arrange the wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, then flip the chips and bake for an additional 2 minutes until golden brown
Enjoy and Stay Warm friends!