Sweet friends, Happy Fall - officially! It is that time of year again! The air is turning crisp and we are beginning to see the first signs of fall!! You know what that means- LOTS of pumpkin!! This is great news because pumpkin is not only delicious in many different foods, but it is incredibly healthy as well!
Pumpkin puree contains more than 700 percent of the daily value of Vitamin A based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Vitamin A helps support cell reproduction, vision health, immune function, bone health, healing and fetal development. Also, pumpkin puree provides 39 mcg of vitamin K per cup to help with blood coagulation and potentially protect against osteoporosis.
One cup of pumpkin puree provides more than 500 mg of potassium, more than you get in one banana. Also, pumpkin puree contains 7 grams of fiber per cup.
Pumpkin's orange color is a clue to its high antioxidant content and source of beta carotene. Pumpkin puree also provides vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports tissue repair and immunity, as well as vitamin E, which fights disease-causing free radicals in the body.
We had fun this past weekend testing and tasting lots of delicious, but healthier versions of some traditional fall favorites! Here are some of my family's favorite recipes to start your pumpkin season in a delicious and healthy way!
Porter's Favorite Pumpkin Bread
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup pure pumpkin (canned organic pumpkin preferred)
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 & ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8 1/2″ by 4 1/2″ metal loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray & sprinkle lightly with flour.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk, combine brown sugar and egg whites. Add pumpkin, oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract; stir to combine.
- In medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture; stir until just combined. Try not to over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips if adding.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Cool completely and enjoy.
Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (I used pureed, canned, organic)
- 1 serving Vanilla Protien Powder or vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 TBSP Ground flax seed
- 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie spice (no sugar added)(nutmeg, ginger)
- 1 tsp + Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Crushed ice to fill - (you can also throw in a few small carrots for extra veggies!
- Place all ingredients in a blender, and blend till smooth.
- Pour it into a pretty glass, top with cinnamon, coconut & enjoy
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
2/3 cup homemade pumpkin purée
4 tbsp coconut flour (found in the organic section)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin spice
½ cup chocolate chips, more as desired
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
4 organic eggs
1 TBSP honey (raw preferred)
1. In a bowl combine all ingredients
2. Spray large skillet
3. Pour batter and let cook over medium/low heat
Top with pure maple syrup, chopped walnuts, and additional scattered chocolate chips (Serves 4)
Pumpkin Protein Greek Yogurt Parfait
- 1 Cup Greek Plain Yogurt (I use FAGE 2%)
- ½ Cup Organic Pumpkin Puree
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Honey or 2 drops of stevia
- ½ Cup Quick & Easy Granola
Mix 1st five ingredients together, add granola on top and extra cinnamon to taste!
Enjoy a delicious fall protein packed meal!
350 Calories; 30 g protein; 7g fiber; 300% Vitamin A
If you enjoy these recipes, you may love a customized or Family Meal Plan to meet your health and fitness goals! For more information, head over to the Shop here. I would love to help you achieve your goals! Have a wonderful fall day!