Sweet friends, Happy Fall - officially! It is that time of year again! Even though this week it has been 90 degrees in sweet Athens GA! Whhoooohhh we have been sweating in the studio! Halloween is right around the corner and we know what that means- LOTS of pumpkins!! It's still a little too early to carve pumpkins for Halloween, so we decided to get in the fall spirit by incorporating other forms of pumpkin in our lives! This is great news because pumpkin is not only delicious in many different foods, but it is incredibly healthy as well!
Pumpkin puree contains more than 700 percent of the daily value of Vitamin A based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Vitamin A helps support cell reproduction, vision health, immune function, bone health, healing and fetal development. Also, pumpkin puree provides 39 mcg of vitamin K per cup to help with blood coagulation and potentially protect against osteoporosis.
One cup of pumpkin puree provides more than 500 mg of potassium, more than you get in one banana. Also, pumpkin puree contains 7 grams of fiber per cup.
Pumpkin's orange color is a clue to its high antioxidant content and source of beta carotene. Pumpkin puree also provides vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports tissue repair and immunity, as well as vitamin E, which fights disease-causing free radicals in the body.
We had fun this past weekend testing and tasting lots of delicious, but healthier versions of some traditional fall favorites! Here are some of my family's favorite recipes to start your pumpkin season in a delicious and healthy way!
Porter's Favorite Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup pure pumpkin (you can use canned organic pumpkin)
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/3 low-fat plain yogurt (2% organic greek yogurt or try pure coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 & ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoonsground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8 1/2″ by 4 1/2″ metal loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray & sprinkle with flour.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk, combine brown sugar and egg whites. Add pumpkin, oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract; stir to combine.
- In medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture; stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert pumpkin bread onto wire rack; cool completely.
Pumpkin Protein Greek Yogurt Parfait
- 1 Cup Greek Plain Yogurt (I use FAGE 2%)
- 1/2 Cup Organic Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Honey or 2 drops of stevia
- 1/2 Cup Quick & Easy Granola
Mix 1st five ingredients together, add granola on top and extra cinnamon to taste! Enjoy a delicious fall protein packed meal!
Pumpkin Energy Bites
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice) 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional!)
Combine ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate up to two hours. Remove from fridge and roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate balls for another two hours. Energy bites are perfect for healthy treat at a party or can be stored in air-tight container in the fridge for snacks during the week! Enjoy!
We hope that you will enjoy these healthy recipes this fall! Let us continue to give our best and grow stronger in body mind and spirit. Scripture reminds us how each hour is an opportunity and each moment is precious- so let us dedicate every moment of this next week to living a healthy, dedicated and Christ-like life for His glory! Our TransFit Team is praying for you, sweet friend!
Come join us next Monday and Tuesday for the Lululemon pop-up shop from 8-11 AM on Monday and 8-10 AM on Tuesday for their new fall collection! We are so excited and hope you can come join us for a session and some shopping!