Happy St. Patrick's Day sweet friends! Add in some extra greens into your nutrition plan this weekend in honor of the lucky holiday! Also, with a refreshing new season approaching, you may need some relaxation & reflection time with your family and friends. I was listening to the radio while I was out running errands, and I heard a nice segment on the importance of getting the family all together for a meal a few times a week. I’ve experienced first-hand the wonders of a family dinner, but let’s admit, it’s a rarity that the entire family sits down for a meal together. These meals can be a special time when you can learn what’s going on in everyone’s lives, spark up a fun, new conversation, or just enjoy sweet company!
Sick of hearing “how was school? How was work? How are your friends?” Why not spark not only a good conversation but also your imagination with some fun questions?
- Where is your favorite place in the world? Why?
- How do you know when you are all grown up? Why?
- What would your life be like if there were no telephones?
- Name three things that you have never done that you one day hope to do?
We also love to play Beginner Dinner Games (Barnes N Nobles), the Healthy Eating Game (Pottery Barn Kids), or just say 3 encouraging words to each person at the table (this can get tricky with little ones… but always funny)!
Below are a few family favorites recipes. Whip these up and you're sure to have your family begging for more meals together! On another note, even if you don't cook, just enjoying time together around the dinner table with a prepared meal is a great start!
We would love to hear your favorite family dinner recipes!
Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
- 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper then cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked broccoli (steamed)
- 8oz whole wheat rotini or spaghetti squash
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Cook pasta/spaghetti squash according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water before draining. Set aside. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour then whisk to incorporate and cook for 1 additional minute. Slowly whisk in chicken broth, then milk. Whisk in Greek yogurt, salt and pepper, then turn the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat off then stir in parmesan cheese, then chicken. Pour over cooked pasta then add broccoli and stir well. Add a little reserved pasta cooking water if sauce is too thick. Serve.
Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin Fajitas
Ingredients: (serves 5-6)
- 1 Lean Pork Tenderloin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably the low-sodium variety
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 – 5 bell peppers, any color
- 1 onion (chopped)
Other fajita fixings:
- Whole-wheat tortillas, lettuce wraps, grated cheese, fresh sliced avocado, cilantro, lime slices, fresh spinach leaves, sour cream, hot peppers, avocado, etc.
- Mix together the dry spices with a fork including the chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Rub the spice mixture over all sides of the meat and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the soy sauce on top. Add ½ cup water to pot.
- Top the meat with the diced jalapeño and minced garlic. Slice the bell peppers and onion and throw those on top of the meat as well.
- Turn the slow cooker onto HIGH and cook for 5 – 6 hours or until the steak can easily be shredded with two forks.
- Drain the meat and peppers well then serve with the recommended fajita “fixings” (listed above).
If you would like to set up a session with our Nutrition Consultant, Katie Woodall, to discuss your family and some great new recipes you can purchase this on our app HERE! During the consultation, we will give you a plan to help you achieve better nutrition habits, fit just for you and your family!
Try these meals sometime in the next few weeks! If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.