We all know the feeling. You leave for a vacation with the best intentions to stay active, but before you know it the week is over and you've done nothing. It's easy to make excuses- "oh I didn't have a gym to go to" or "there was just no time"- but you are better than excuses! You find time in your day to day life to exercise, and there are lots of great workouts you can do without a gym!
1. Pack a resistance band and a jump rope in your suitcase. These take up virtually no space, but can help you take a workout to the next level on a vacation. The jump rope is a great way to boost your cardio for the day, so try jumping for a few minutes before every workout or when you first wake up in the morning. Use the resistance band for a variety of exercises such as lateral raises, standing chest presses, bent over rows, and lateral band walks.
2. Walk it out. In a place with lots of cool sites to visit? Wear a pedometer or a FitBit and try to hit at least 10,000 steps a day. Want to take it to the next level? Go for a run around these sites instead!
3. Get out of your comfort zone. Oftentimes vacation spots have the opportunity for you to try new sports like kayaking, paddle boarding, or surfing. Take an afternoon to try something new, and I guarantee you'll be sore in new places before you know it!
4. Catch up with family. If you're visiting relatives, you'll want to spend some time catching each other up on the changes in your lives. Instead of doing this on a couch, take a walk around the neighborhood. You'll get to hear new things, and you'll get your endorphins flowing which will help you bond more!
5. Start your day with a body weight workout! Pushups, crunches, Russian twists, squats, etc. are an excellent way to build muscle without needing access to gym equipment. Alternate sets of exercise with periods of rest for a full body workout.
Try this TURN UP THE HEAT FULL BODY WORKOUT on your vacation or anytime you need a full body workout! All you need is one set of dumbbells and your phone or a timer. Set your timer for 45 seconds of work, and 15 seconds of rest! I did this workout many times in my parents living room in North Carolina when I couldn't get out to the gym for a workout. I was energized after completeing 2 rounds and each of the major muscle groups where used! Can't wait to hear your success stories!