Good morning, friends!
I hope your week is off to a great start. It finally feels like we're all settling 2016, doesn't it? The newness of the year is beginning to wear off and we are finally getting back into our old routines. That being said I know for many of you, like me, that routine involves long days filled to the brim with meetings, appointments, activities, errands, cooking and much more! Looking at our days can often feel overwhelming leaving us feeling drained and frustrated - and it is often in these times that we reach for those unhealthy "easy" foods or neglect to exercise but I want to encourage you to break free from this cycle and start fresh today!
The fact is, when you feel your best inside and out you will have your best days. On the busiest days (which I like to call "full days", not "busy" or "booked" but full to the brim with things that the Lord has blessed me with the opportunity to do) it is even more important that we are fueling our bodies well and taking the time to exercise properly so we will have the energy and strength to give everything our best!
Yes, I know nutrition can often be something that is very hard to focus on when we are "busy". We are often rushing out the door in the morning, eating out spur of the moment throughout the week or throwing together meals at the last second. So today I wanted to give you a few tips on staying your healthiest - even through life's busiest and craziest times!
5 Ways to Stay Healthy in your "Full" Days
· Start your day FULL of the Spirit! At the end of the day, our spiritual health is by far the most important aspect of our health. Start your day with a quiet time, asking the Lord to live through you today. Ask Him to help you remember why it is that you want to be healthier - to honor Him with your body, not to look a certain way. Thank Him that He made you beautiful and perfect in His own image! These precious moments at the first of your day will shift your focus heavenward, giving you a healthy spiritual mindset.
"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:1-2
· Have a FULL breakfast! Friends, this is so important. There are so many studies that show the importance of a balanced breakfast in a healthy lifestyle, and they are so true! Your breakfast is the first fuel that your body is getting for your day! I know it can be easy to skip as you rush out the door to work, school or drop the kids off - but ensuring that you and your family get a healthy breakfast is essential. Here are some quick, easy and healthy breakfast ideas!
1 serving Kashi Go-Lean cereal with 4 oz Almond Milk
Quick Yogurt parfait- 1 cup Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt topped with a few berries, small serving granola and drizzle of honey
Cheese stick with apple slices and peanut butter
Oatmeal (microwave or overnight) add a dollop of greek yogurt or nuts for protein
2 eggs and ½ avocado and 1 cup berries
1 piece whole wheat toast or Ezekiel bread with 1 tbsp peanut/almond butter (feel free to add additional toppings such as honey, raisins, dark chocolate chips)
- Equip yourself with a FULL knowledge of healthy eating out! While we would all like to believe we can always meal prep and prepare to avoid eating out, at the end of the day there are going to be times where we are strapped for time and find ourselves once again going through the Chick-Fil-A drive thru! However, it is so important to realize that eating out does not have to be unhealthy! There are so many options you can choose for yourself and your kids that are not laden with calories, fat and grease! When eating out, if you have struggled with making poor decisions in the past choose today to let yourself stop that cycle! You CAN eat healthy while eating out! Here are a few tips:
- Substitute fries! Restaurants now offer many options instead of fries. If they don't, try to just have the entree anyways as it will often fill you up.
- If there is a salad option - choose it! And have the dressing on the side.
- Grab a large water and drink it before eating!
- Have a plan! Know what you're going to get before you order. The MyFitnessPal app now has so many restaurant options in the app that will tell you all of the nutrition information in an instant! Do a quick search to be aware of what you are getting and to keep you accountable!
Find SPECIFIC meals at almost every restaurant in Athens in our very own Eating Out Guide ebook which can be found in the shop!! Get in now on sale for only $7.99 here
- Have a FULL workout! On our busy days, this task can often seem the most daunting. However when we look at our planners let us take the time to realize that we have 24 hours in each and every day. We are awake for 12-16 of those hours (sometimes even more!) and let us focus on making the most of each day. Your workout can be anywhere from 15-60 minutes, and remember that any workout is better than no workout at all! Even if it is a 15 minute bodyweight HIIT style workout in between meetings, before class or before you pick up the kids it will still leave you feeling refreshed and energized! Allow yourself to take that time to treat your body well and you will be surprised at how much more productive the rest of your day will be!
- Be FULL of water throughout your day! While this seems like an obvious point, I can not stress enough the importance of hydration in your busy days. Often hydration issues can lead to headaches and a tired, sluggish feeling that we neglect to relate to a water problem! Try to set up a "drinking schedule" for yourself in order to make sure that your body is getting the hydration it needs! Take mental inventory of how much better you feel when you've had the proper amount of water!
I hope these 5 tips will help you finish the month of January strong and energized for an awesome start to February! Please let the TransFit Team know if we can help you in any way!