Happy November sweet friends!
All of a sudden, November is here and the holidays are right around the corner! Often it seems we associate the holidays with being surrounded by unhealthy foods and lack of exercise; however, November is the best time of year to focus on nutrition and cardiovascular exercise! In light of Thanksgiving we want to focus on being thankful for our bodies by respecting and taking care of them. You can do this viewing exercise as worship and proper nutrition as a way to be thankful for the healthy body you have! Practicing these healthy habits diligently and staying accountable to your goals through the holiday season will help you honor your body!
Friends, let’s light a fire down deep and have a passion to become more motivated than we have all year in time for this holiday season. You can stick to your plan and reach your goals through the holidays! At TransFit we believe in you and we are excited to help you be the best YOU!
We would love for you to come join us Friday at 12:30 PM for our Lunch and Learn. We will discuss the importance nutrition, tips for the holiday season, and how to feel your best for to finish 2017 strong . You will have the opportunity to hear from our new registered dietitian, Kaeti Shurling, and eat and fellowship together. Please sign up on our app under SPECIAL EVENTS! If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
We wanted to share one of our new fall recipes with you, today! Enjoy!
Chopped Kale Salad with Butternut Squash & Chickpeas
SERVES: SERVES 4 AS MEAL - OR 8 AS A SIDE
For the Salad
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 4 cups of any other green lettuce (chopped spinach, broccoli slaw, more kale)
- 2-3 cups large diced butternut squash
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup toasted pecan
- OPTIONAL: Chopped chicken or other protein, pomagranate
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Prep kale by cutting out the tough ribs of the kale and discard. Chop kale and add to a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add the diced butternut squash and rinsed chickpeas to a baking sheet lined with foil. Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, curry powder and cayenne. Mix until the squash and chickpeas are well coated. Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender and chickpeas are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile add the dressing ingredients to a small mason jar. Shake to mix and taste for more seasoning or vinegar if desired.
- Transfer the butternut squash and chickpeas to the bowl of kale. Add the pecans and drizzle with the tahini dressing. Toss to coat. Allow to rest for 10 to 30 minutes before serving so kale softens. Add chicken or other protein! Enjoy!
We want to spend November focused on being grateful for the body we have and that we have the abilities to treat our bodies well. Let’s choose to make choices today and every day to treat our bodies with love and respect.
We are excited to reach new goals with you this month and watch you achieve new things and begin living an even healthier lifestyle! If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.