Good morning, sweet friends,
Today is the day! You are ready for a new nutrition challenge! This month, we are focusing on COMMITTING each day to our whole body health plan! Let's focus this week how we can commit to our health by making some changes with our nutrition!
YOUR CHALLENGE THIS WEEK: ADD IN HIGH QUALITY PROTEIN SNACKS!
One new way you could COMMIT this week is to increase the amount of high-quality protein that you include in your daily nutrition plan! Protein is an essential food for repairing muscle tissue and keeping you feeling full longer. Replace processed foods with quality protein and you will feel the difference. A great way to incorporate this essential protein in your diet is to include it in the snacks that you eat throughout the day! High protein snacks (15-20 grams) should be consumed 30-45 minutes after workouts for maximum muscle building and repair benefits. They can also be consumed as a snack throughout the day to fight cravings and to help manage weight. Below are some suggestions of snacks that you can take on the go during your busy schedule. COMMIT to incorporating a few of these snacks in your diet this week!
Here are some of our dietitian, Kaeti Shurling's favorites:
- 1/4 cup of nuts (cashews are a great option!)
- 1/2 cup of trail mix
- 1 cheese stick
- 4 oz of low fat cottage cheese
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt with slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup of cooked Edamame
- Koia drinks
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup of black beans
- 3 oz of tuna
- Kind Bars (under 5 grams of sugar)
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- Turkey roll-ups
- Rice cake layered with nut butter and chopped walnuts
Here is a homemade protein bar that you can make this week and also store to take with you on the go!
Homemade Protein Bar (Approximately 180-220 calories, 15-20g protein)
- 2 & 1/2 cups whole grain oats
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 4 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Line a 8x8 dish with wax paper
2. Mix all ingredients by hand
3. Press mixture down into dish, using a spatula to flatten
4. Freeze for 30 minutes. Cut into six or eight bars. Refrigerate. Enjoy!
Try out these great high protein snacks and COMMIT to your healthy lifestyle with a delicious, higher protein nutrition plan!
High Protein Trail Mix
- 1 cup lightly salted almonds
- 1 cup lightly salted walnuts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (leave chocolate chips out if you will be outdoors)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
**For nut allergies, replace the almonds and walnuts with pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds!
You can always toast the nuts in the oven at 450 degrees for 3-5 minutes first to bring out a rich flavor then toss with favorite mix-ins.
Let the family measure and mix and have fun playing with your favorite combinations. Place 1/4 cup into snack bags and keep in your snack basket!
We are excited to see you this week to help you reach your goals!