Happy Thursday sweet friends! It has been an awesome week in the TransFit studio! Each of you are working so hard to reach your goals and finish August as strong! Remember those goals you set at the beginning of the month and push yourself toward progress each toward your goals! We had a great vision and goal setting workshop with lululemon Tuesday, if you would like a copy of the handout please let us know!
Nutrition was a goal for many of you this month! Food journaling, decreasing, sugar, processed foods, and increasing water intake were a few of the many goals. We want to encourage you today to be mindful of how much protein you are eating and below we have a few tips and recipes to help you get in your recommended daily intake!
Importance of Protein-
- Nutritionists advise eating 1.1 g of protein daily for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. (Take your body weight and divide by 2- is a great estimate of grams of protein per day)
- Adults in the U.S. are encouraged to get 20% - 35% of their day's calories from higher protein foods.
- Ways to add protein into your diet-
- A small 3-ounce piece of meat has about 21 grams of protein.
- One 8-ounce container of yogurt has about 11 grams of protein.
- One cup of milk has 8 grams of protein.
- One cup of dry beans has about 16 grams of protein.
- One egg contains 6 grams of protein.
Eggs are great way to add protein to your diet. Eggs are one of the least expensive, purest form of protein. Sweet friend, Sarah Bennett, owner of Five Arrow Farms, offers fresh eggs to each of you here at the TransFit studio.
Here is Sarah's favorite way to steam eggs!
With over 100 pastured laying hens eggs are certainly a staple in our home! Farm fresh eggs are delicious, but can be difficult to peel once hard-boiled. I found myself avoiding hard-boiled eggs for this very reason until a friend introduced me to the art of steaming my eggs. It has made all the difference! They are just as delicious and take seconds to peel. Now we are back to making Jain's favorite "doubled" eggs and keeping steamed eggs in the fridge at all times for extra protein on salads or as a side for lunches or dinner! Follow the simple steps below for perfect steamed eggs!
- Fill saucepan with an inch or so of water
- Please eggs in a single layer in steamer basket
- Place basket in saucepan one water is boiling
- Cover and steam 10-12 minutes
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon directly into cold water, or run cold water directly into pan to cover eggs
- Once cooled, peel and enjoy!
*Cooking time can vary based on egg size, altitude and the number of eggs cooked at once, so I always recommend testing one before peeling them all
Healthy Deviled Eggs Recipe:
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine hard boiled eggs yolks with all of the above top with smoked paprika
Continue adding in more protein to your daily diet. If you would like to meet with our nutrition consultant, Katie Woodall, please email as at email@example.com for more information. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you achieve your August goals!