Chia is an amazing superfood that can add tons of fiber and other important nutrients to your diet. One serving alone contains 14 grams of fiber, or 56% of your recommended daily intake! Other benefits of Chia include boosting energy, stabilizing blood sugar, aiding digestion, and lowering cholesterol. Wow!
Chia can be added to your diet in several different ways. The first is by sprinkling it onto other foods, such as yogurt, cereal, smoothies, or even mixing it into pasta sauce once the sauce has been cooked. Even my kids will eat Chia seed this way because they can't taste the difference in the foods. Incorporating Chia seed great way for kids to get the essential calcium, iron, omega-3s, and folic acid they need while they are growing.
Alternatively, you can make it into food on its own like I've done in the following Chia Pudding Recipe. I enjoy eating it for breakfast since I love to kick off my day with some extra nutrients, and it leaves me feeling full all morning.
- 1 cups plain almond milk or coconut milk
- 3 TBSP chia seeds
- 3-4 drops stevia extra or 1 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
1. Place the chia seeds in a medium bowl or mason jar. Add the almond milk, vanilla, stevia or maple syrup and a pinch of kosher salt. Whisk or shake to combine.
2. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or mason jar and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, stirring/shaking occasionally. I recommend letting the pudding rest in the refrigerate overnight, but 4 hours will do if you’re feeling antsy.
3. Before serving, stir the pudding to make sure that there are not any clumps. Spoon pudding into bowls or glasses and garnish with toppings of your choice. My favorite topping is walnuts and frozen blueberries!
(These are combinations that I have tried, but feel free to mix and match and get creative!)
- Mixed berries and sliced almonds
- Diced mango, toasted coconut, and dark chocolate shavings
- Sliced Bananas with cinnamon
- Blueberries, toasted walnuts
As always I love getting feedback from all of my friends, so let me know your favorite toppings or if you have any great Chia recipes!