You may have noticed a lot of food related posts on the blog lately. There are two reasons for that. One- I've been hearing about some great new foods lately and I love finding good recipes for them to make it easy for everyone to incorporate them into their diets. Two- starting my online training program has really gotten me thinking about my friends' dietary needs.
One need I've been seeing a lot of is the need for gluten-free foods, and a desire for nutritious and delicious desserts. The recipe for flour-less chocolate chip cookie bars accomplishes just that, and are super easy to make. The recipe calls for chickpeas instead of flour, which add protein and fiber without sacrificing any flavor. What's even better is that the cookie bars can be vegan too, simply by substituting the dark chocolate chips for vegan chocolate chips. Yum!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Flour-less)
- Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 8×8 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a food processor or blender, add all ingredients except chocolate chips and process/blend until batter is smooth. Fold in ¼ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan then sprinkle ¼ cup of chocolate chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes and edges are a tiny bit brown.
- Cool pan for 20 minutes on wire rack. Sprinkle with sea salt then cut into squares. Enjoy immediately!
Makes 16 Cookie bars.
As you can probably imagine they were a hit with my children! I will definitely be making these again soon!